[PyQt] PocketPC port of PyQT4

David Boddie dboddie at trolltech.com
Fri Feb 13 17:15:53 GMT 2009

On Fri Feb 13 07:49:44 GMT 2009, Ingmar Steen wrote:

> Anyway, iirc the problem with wxPython on PocketPC had something to do with
> a limit on the adressable memory space of the application and it's dlls.
> Even if there was enough free memory, wx + python + wxPython just didn't
> fit that adressing space. I can imagine trying to target PyQt for PocketPC
> might run into the same issues.

Qt for embedded platforms has the concept of "features" which let you remove
things you don't need. PyQt doesn't know about all of these, though it does
have a similar system for declaring what should be included in the bindings.

Some approximate library sizes for the upcoming Qt release can be found here:

  http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/requirements-embedded-linux.html

Earlier versions obviously contained fewer classes, so the library sizes were
smaller, especially for "normal" builds.

> Then again, maybe a lot has changed in this area since PocketPC 2003SE.

Maybe there's more memory to play with. :-)

David