[PyQt] Creating widget drawing benchmark test

Brent Villalobos Brent.Villalobos at pdi.dreamworks.com
Sat Apr 25 01:02:35 BST 2009

Has anyone written a widget draw-time benchmarking program?  I need to
write a test that will provide an idea of how PyQt performs with a large
number of widgets.  I'm thinking of writing an application that creates
a grid of QPushButton widgets.  The test then runs when someone pushes a
"Go" button which calls a function that hides and shows each button.  It
would look something like this:

    def refresh():
        startTime = time.time()
        for i, b in enumerate(buttons):
            b.hide()
            b.show()
        print "Hide/show buttons in %f seconds" % (time.time()-startTime)

Is this a good test or am I not really testing what I think I'm
testing?  If this isn't a good test, anyone have any suggestions for a
simple draw-time benchmarking test?
-Brent