[PyQt] Re: More recent g++ slows build time immensely

Kevin Watters kevin.watters at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 03:42:46 BST 2008

> Anyway, I'm looking into using sipconfig so I'll end up with lots of little
> files instead of one big one.

It sounds like some new algorithm made your big-oh a little a bigger--splitting
things up might improve things quite a bit.  I'd also take the time to figure
out how to make g++ do precompiled headers--make sure to see the %UnitCode
directive (http://riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip4/sipref.html#unitcode)

I know splitting things up and getting precompiled headers going made compile
times go from unbearable to snappy, at least on Windows where I build with
MSVC.

One thing to watch out for is that SIP is not smart enough to leave a file's
mtime intact if the content hasn't changed (arguably this is your build
system's job anyways...).  Someone on here pointed out some simple code that
manages a cache of generated source and updates mtimes accordingly; you can
check it out here for an idea:
http://github.com/kevinw/wxpy/tree/master/wxpybuild/wxpyext.py#L309

- Kevin