[PyQt] Symbol naming system for PyQt under Python 3

Paul A. Giannaros paul at giannaros.org
Fri Dec 12 22:18:41 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:09:56 +0000, "Paul A. Giannaros"
> <paul at giannaros.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When there was a discussion regarding PyQt wishes for Python 3.0 I
> > proposed changing the mechanism by which you refer to symbols[1] .
> > Thus something like "QtGui.QApplication" could be refered to as
> > "Qt.Application".
> > As Qt does not use namespaces itself, there would be no conflicts of
> > names. The idea is that you'd then import any module and its symbols
> > would then be added to the Qt namespace when you've done so. This
> > system would therefore save on redundant typing while sidestepping
> > namespace pollution.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this?
>
> Nothing printable ;)
>
> You can already do Qt.QApplication is you really want to, so you are saving
> yourself one character.

"from PyQt4 import Qt" imports every module if I'm not mistaken.
Wanting a sane way of referencing Qt's symbols is not the same as
wanting every symbol from every module to be imported.

Surely losing that one character is great if it's unnecessary. The
QtRuby guys seem to use exactly the same naming system that I propose
and it works fine for them and looks much better.

> Qt does use namespaces. KDE uses lots of namespaces.

The main Qt library does not for its separate modules, which is what
I'm talking about. I'm not proposing getting rid of every namespace
everywhere.

> A class in PyQt should have the same name as the class in Qt if at all
> possible.

Could you please elaborate as to why?

Regards,
Paul