[PyQt] PyKDE4 Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Sep 4 17:50:21 BST 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 01:49, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Did you or Simon ever think about porting the already existing tests
> from kdelibs to python? Thats not example applications in the meaning
> that they show users how to use the API, but they should cover all the
> specialities of the API.

That's a very good question. I think about it every time I see the 'tests'
subdirectories when scrolling through the source trees.

In the past (probably far past), they weren't very complete, but the
indications are that they have very good coverage now, so it's worth looking
at - I'll try to get to that fairly soon.

I don't think it answers everything from an application programmer's point of
view, but it would still be useful in improving PyKDE quality.

I used to work for a company that made traffic signals and controls (although
I wasn't in that division). The QC department there built a test fixture for
the detectors they bury in the pavement to detect cars - like cars waiting to
make a left turn. The test fixture could do the equivalent of detecting a car
moving at 140 MPH (which wasn't likely to care about a signal light anyway).
But when they got the detectors out in the field and buried in the pavement,
they discovered they couldn't detect some kinds of large semi-trailer trucks
stopped right on top of the detectors - I think it was because of some alloy
used in the frames, or their height above the road.

I get the same feeling about parts of PyKDE at times.

Jim