[PyKDE] Debugging a segfault in Linux

Andy Anderson Andy.Anderson at mscsoftware.com
Fri Mar 17 18:06:34 GMT 2006

Wow, that's an oldie. I think eventually solved my problem by using
deleteLater() to explicitly delete widgets, instead of just 'myObj =None'
or 'del myObj'.

If I remember right, there were two issues:

1) It turned out that in some cases I was deleting an object while
processing a signal involving the object or a child of the object
(probably a bad idea).
2) There still seemed to be some inexplicable cases where Qt's bookkeeping
was getting messed up.

Using deleteLater() seemed to fix everything. I suggest using it if you're
deleting widgets, especially inside any event or signal handling.

Andy Anderson
MSC.Software Corporation