[PyKDE] QtCore.Qt and QtGui.Qt

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Thu Mar 2 14:55:00 GMT 2006

Gerard Vermeulen <gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> I have been wondering for some time if it wouldn't be better to merge
QtCore
> and QtGui into one single module.  This resolves the problem of the Qt
> namespace clashes.  Eventually there could be a QtCore module for people
> who really only need QtCore (how many?).

Not many Python users of course, but there are C++ people who bought QtCore
only (there is a specific license for that) and use it as a portability
layer for C++ for non-GUI applications. Qt4 did the split on purpose, and I
think PyQt should match it.

> I propose a plain Python module PyQt4.qt reading:
>
> from PyQt4.QtGui import *
> from PyQt4.QtOpenGL import *
> # etc... PyQt4's configure.py can figure out which other modules to import

Yes, this might be a good idea.

> PS: http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/2006-January/012179.html
> is a bit revolutionary, but I like the idea of typing qt.ComboBox.

Yeah, me too. wxWidgets went for it for a reason.
--
Giovanni Bajo