[PyKDE] OT QT4 GPL query.

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Aug 8 11:19:38 BST 2006

Try that again, for some reason didn't reply to list...

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 07:15, dave s wrote:
> No problem there, my concern was that it processes data from a non GPL
> licensed app and can only be used with that data - so its kind of tied to
> the app.

Should be no problem there, the GPL applies only to code, not data.  Think for
example of using OpenOffice to write your great novel, is the novel therefore
under the GPL?  No it isn't.  It's the code that is governed by the GPL, not
the use of the code.

The only problem might come in how you get the data into your new program.  If
you include non-GPL code from the upstream system to import the data, then
that would be wrong.  If you're just importing a file of data using code you
wrote yourself, then no problem at all.

John.