[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 00:02:12 BST 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 8:03 pm, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On 10/21/05, Gilbert Ramirez <gram at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> > For me, one of the strong points of Qt is that the documentation for
> > it is great. Although the documention is for C++, it's still a handy
> > reference for PyQT programmers because the mapping from Qt/C++ to PyQt
> > is almost always straightforward. I'd like to keep the
> > non-straight-forward mappings in the documentation to a minimum,
> > because no one is going to do as good of a job as writing
> > documentation for an API that is very different from Qt's.
>
> What raises another point: PyQT should include docstrings!
>
> Phil, have you considered this?

Yes - it's been on the TODO list for a while.

Current PyQt documentation is effectively handwritten and (therefore) only
describes differences to Qt. I will add automatic generation of documentation
to SIP at some point which will describe what is actually implemented using
Python data types. It would then be easy enough to generate a summary as
docstrings - maybe as a configuration option. (And if anybody has bright
ideas about how to automagically generate links to the corresponding bit of
Qt documentation, I'd like to hear them.)