[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Nigel Stewart ns at fluent.com
Tue Oct 18 23:19:32 BST 2005

>>You don't care, I care. Don't do the mistake of thinking that your needs are
>>the same of everyone else.
>
> So, why _do_ you care? What's the issue or problem you have in mind?

    We also care - we're storing the majority of our data in C++
    containers of QString.  Deep copying from QString -> Python ->
    Qt Widget will affect our footprint and latency, without doubt.

    If we had a quantitative idea of the performance impact,
    it would be a lot easier to argue one way, or the other.

    I find it appealing to eliminate QString, but not based on
    some kind of "nobody cares about performance" rationale.

Nigel Stewart