[PyKDE] Controlling korganizer from python

Joachim Werner joe at suse.de
Tue Oct 11 15:21:50 BST 2005

Hi Dick,

Am Montag 10 Oktober 2005 23:29 schrieb Dick Kniep:

> This is my first post here, so I am a newbee on python kde programming. I
> do know my way around python.
> We have built a big system with Python, wxPython and postgresql. Now we
> would like to use kontact as an email/agenda, but I need a two-way syncing
> of the appointments made either in our application, or in korganiser. I
> have heard about dcop, and would like to use it, but I have looked in the
> lists, but could not find any example, or even documentation. It should be
> there, but probably I am not looking in the right places. So if anyone
> could give me a push in the right direction I would be very happy.

I think in your case it might make more sense to just use one of the existing
calendar resources for Kontact.

E.g. you could have your application write an iCal calendar source to a local
file that Kontact can read and write.

One can write any kind of resource plugin for Kontact, e.g. one that gets
calendar data via XML-RPC from a remote server, or one that uses an IMAP mail
folder to store them. Quite a few do already exist, and I guess one or the
other could be used out of the box by your app. You'd just have to implement
the "server-side" protocol (be it just a file or some XML-RPC protocol) in
your app.

I don't think DCOP is needed at all for this.

Cheers

Joachim

--
Joachim Werner, SUSE RD-TPM