[PyKDE] PyQT module size

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Feb 18 17:00:54 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 February 2005 20:47, Brian Thomason wrote:
> We've been using PyQT/PyKDE here at Linspire for some time now to
> develop a handful of applications.  One of these is Lsongs, and it
> has grown quite large and has a very large memory footprint.  We're
> trying to reduce this a bit in various ways (switching to gstreamer
> from libxine for instance) and I was curious if there was a way to
> reduce the footprint size of pyqt/pykde.  The shared object files
> themselves are quite large - Larger than their C++ counterparts.

Since this is an actual concern of mine, too, I ran some tests with
the attached script, mainly to explore the impact of importing:

from qt import Q...

versus

from qt import *

To conclude, it is quite small, but see yourself:
On SuSE 9.0, 2.4.21-273-athlon:
sip version: 4.1.1
Qt version: 3.2.1
PyQt version: 3.13
the difference is about 80k :-(

VmSize:    63072 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     16152 kB
VmData:     4380 kB
VmStk:        44 kB
VmExe:         4 kB
VmLib:     21640 kB

VmSize:    63108 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     16236 kB
VmData:     4376 kB
VmStk:        44 kB
VmExe:         4 kB
VmLib:     21676 kB

On SuSE 9.2, 2.6.8-24.11:
sip version: 4.0.1
Qt version: 3.3.3
PyQt version: 3.12 (all from kdebindings3-python-3.3.0-13):

VmSize:    26216 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     14148 kB
VmData:     4336 kB
VmStk:        56 kB
VmExe:         2 kB
VmLib:     19606 kB

VmSize:    26352 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     14156 kB
VmData:     4472 kB
VmStk:        56 kB
VmExe:         2 kB
VmLib:     19606 kB

If some kind soul could explain the huge difference in VmSize between
2.4 and 2.6 from /proc/<pid>/status, I would feel much better..

Pete