[PyKDE] PyKDE - Is there any more being done on it?

Philippe Fremy fremy at yalbi.com
Thu Feb 1 14:47:09 GMT 2001

> Why don't you leave the PyKDE version for 1.1 alone and make a PyKDE2
> version.  This way, support for KDE1 stays as it always is.  Maybe just
> preface each KDE2 library with kde2?  It sounds hackish though.  I know
> alot of classes have changed from KDE1 to KDE2.  Also, alot has changed.
> Maybe just the relase name: PyKDE for KDE1, PyKDE2 for KDE2 even if they
> share the same classes.  No further development for KDE1 would have to be
> done.

I agree: you should drop PyKde support. Kde has done that 6 month ago. And
more important, you should clearly state that this PyKde is for kde 1.2.

Currently, everyone gets confused because:
- PyKde version numbers starts by 2 --> this is for kde 2
- PyKde versions are released along with PyQt. PyQt is for Qt 2, which is
what Kde 2 uses
- PyKde is released frequently, as if it was trying to keep up with Kde 2
development. Since kde 1.2 is stalled, so should be your binding except for
bug corrections.
- the project page name is pykde. Everyone thinks PyKde is the most
up-to-date stuff and PyQt is an extension.
- in the download area, nothing precise that PyKde is for kde 1.2
Just add "The Qt bindings for Qt 2." and "The kde bindings for Kde 1.2".
Some people go directly to this page and don't realise they are downloading
an out-of-date binding.
- PyKde is requiring an older version of PyQt, right ? This is not clear.
- the website reads :
"PyKDE is a set of Python bindings for the KDE toolkit. PyQt must also be
installed. The bindings are implemented as a number of Python modules
corresponding to the names of the separate KDE libraries, i.e. kdecore,
kdeui, kfm, kfile, khtmlw and kspell. They support all KDE version 1
releases and Python versions 1.5 to 2.0."

The kde version is hidden at the end of the sentence. Given how many people
get confused about this, please state more explicitely and in bold that
these are binding for kde 1.2 and not for kde 2.0 . It is important to have
user realise that

	regards,

	Philippe