[PyKDE] QCanvasItem constructor

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 14:09:04 GMT 2000

Jesper Eskilson wrote:

> Philippe Fremy <fremy at yalbi.com>(by way of Philippe Fremy <fremy at yalbi.com>) writes:
>
> > The Qt doc states that one should not inherit from QCanvasItem, so this
> > it isn't a bug and doesn't require C++ hacking knowledge :-)
> >
> > "Note that you cannot easily subclass QCanvasItem yourself - the API is too
> > low-level. Instead, you should subclass QCanvasPolygonalItem, or perhaps
> > QCanvasRectangle or QCanvasSprite."
>
> "should not" is different from "cannot easily".

Correct - and Hannes Sixt pointed out to me privately that my
explaination was wrong (or complete bollocks as we say in England). It
seems I could fix SIP to get around this problem - but it's not high on
the list of priorities given this is the only example I know of in the
whole of Qt and Qt (at the very least) doesn't encourage you to
sub-class.