[Eric] Subversion multi-Project Repository: how to?

Gadget/Steve GadgetSteve at live.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 08:03:10 GMT 2012

On 02/03/2012 5:03 PM, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. März 2012, 11:20:06 schrieb Pietro Moras:
>> Very well,
>>    now I dare ask the same question not in point of principle, but with a
>> practical, operative purpose. IF multi-project Repository is really
>> possible, HOW can be it done, in practice? I mean:
>>
>> 1]  Is it done through the creation of a sub-Repository, at Server level,
>> care of “svnadmin.exe”? How? Using what command?
> The repository directory is created by svnadmin.
>
>> 2]  Is it done through a special creation of a single Project, at Client
>> level, care of “svn.exe” [or, if that IDE case, some Eric VC command]?
>> Through which command, exactly?
> On client side you create the eric project as usual and select to use
> Subversion as your VCS. For the repository URL you enter the URL for your
> repository and add a subdirectory (e.g. file:///path/to/repo/project1). For
> the second repo you would choose file:///path/to/repo/project2 and so on. Once
> the project has been created by eric it is tied to the one in the repository.
>

>> 3]  Is there a way to select the desired Project, exclusively, both for
>> up-loading and down-loading data, without being bothered by the possible
>> presence of other similar and distinct Projects, within the same
>> Repository?
> That is inherent. Nothing special to do.
>
>> How, exactly? With which “svn.exe” [or, if that IDE case, some
>> Eric VC] commands? It might be my fault, but what I've seen so far, about
>> this matter, spans from utterly impractical to impossible, hence my stated
>> questions. Gratefully, yours - P.M.
> Please note that a subversion working directory is tied to one repository URL.
>
> Regards,
> Detlev
But note that the repository pointed to by the URL can have extern
contents, usually for better control and clearer structure these would
be subdirectories of the working directory, e.g. if you have a
CommonCode project that is shared between your two projects then each of
the projects would have a CommonCode subdirectory.  Such a subdirectory
can have it's link to the CommonCode project specified to follow the
head revision of that project or be linked to a specific revision in any
given project revision.  Most, if not all, subversion clients will fetch
from each project repository the code for that repository and the
appropriate revision of the CommonCode repository.  It is also a good
idea to set the properties of the common elements to "require lock" so
as to discourage individuals from making changes to such code without
considering that it is common code and that their changes can affect
multiple projects.

Gadget/Steve