[Eric] another icons for Eric

Victor Varvariuc victor.varvariuc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 07:21:09 BST 2011

I have two reasons for this:
1. I work in a company where Eclipse is a de facto standard. Using it will
also allow me using the same IDE for projects in other languages.
2. (The major reason) Not very good code autocomplete out of the box. PyDev
offers very good autocomplete with some introspection. One small and simple
example:

class A():
    static_attr = 1
    def some_method(self):
        pass

a = A()
a.

After the dot Eclipse is suggesting me static_attr and some_method(), while
Eric will suggest them only if have entered a.static_attr and
a.some_method() before.
Good autocomplete offers me the way to save some efforts during coding.
Also PyDev offers the way to go to class source or object definition - very
useful when working with bigger projects (like scrapy, twisted).

You already mentioned that you don't have time (ability) to
enable supporting autocomplete in Eric at this kind of level and you welcome
the patches.
So for now - Eclipse.

Eric is a very good IDE (small memory footprint compared to Eclipse and is
faster, etc.) and I am sure it will continue improving.

Thank you for this wonderful product, Detlev!

--
*Victor Varvariuc*