[Eric] web2py plugin

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Nov 1 09:33:58 GMT 2011

Hi,

looking at the TurboGears, Django or Pylons plug-in for eric4 is already a very good start. These have not yet been ported to eric5. That is on the TODO list. However, as long as these environment are still using Python2, it is best to use eric4 for the development.

I don't know enough about web2py to know, if it is using Python3 already. However, I am considering it as a first web development plug-in for eric5 (just bought the book myself to get familiar with it). Unfortunately I am not able to give a date of availability for this plug-in.

More info below.

Am 31.10.2011 um 23:28 schrieb David:

> I'm new to Eric (I'm using version 5), and relatively new to python.  I've been searching for an IDE to develop web2py applications.
>
> Web2py presents certain challenges to IDEs because its applications are not imported by the main application, as in most other python frameworks.  Instead, web2py executes the applications in a pre-prepared environment that provides objects which are simply not available in a non-runtime (e.g. IDE) environment.
>
> Eclipse/Pydev solution: http://kollerie.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/setting-up-your-ide-for-web2py-development/
> Wingware solution: http://www.wingware.com/doc/howtos/web2py
> Komodo solution: http://community.activestate.com/forum/implicit-python-code-completion
>
> The most promising of these seems to be the Komodo plugin since it requires no alteration of web2py or cruft stuck at the top of each web2py source file.
>
> I would really like to use Eric to develop web2py applications, but need to overcome the web2py challenges for Eric to properly provide code completion, call tips, syntax highlighting, and debugging.
>
> I have read the documentation on the eric5 plugin system, which would seem to be the way to go, but I'm still not sure how to accomplish what is needed for web2py development.  I have also examined the TurboGears Project plugin from eric4 as an example.
>
> Has anyone created a web2py plugin?

That is on my TODO list.

> If not, could someone point me in the right direction for creating my own?

You are already on the right track by analyzing the Django or TurboGears plug-in for eric4. Additional info about plug-ins in general is contained in the respective document, which is part of the eric distribution.

> For example, what is the syntax for the language APIs?
> Is there a method for generating these language APIs, or are these manually edited?

Language API files can be generated with the eric5_api.py script. Entering eric5_api -h gives some usage info.

> I couldn't figure out from the documentation how to add a new project type for eric5, is there some source for this information?

New project types are added via plug-ins. You may use the eric4 wxPython plug-in as a template. It adds just a new project type.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de