[Eric] More cxfreeze plugin woes

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Apr 26 11:54:40 BST 2011

On Sonntag, 24. April 2011, Tomas Sobota wrote:
> I finally got to install (thanks, Tobias!) and make work the cxfreeze
> plugin for Eric5. But it is not straightforward on Windows.
>
> First, I installed everything on a 64 bit Win 7. In this environment,
> cxfreeze installs a bat file called cxfreeze.bat in the Python Scripts
> folder, which in a standard installation of the latest Python 3 is at
> C:\Python32\Scripts.
>
> However, in the cxfreeze.bat file Python 3 gets called like
> "C:\Python32-64\Python32-64.exe", so it is never found. This problem is
> attributable to the cxfreeze installation and not to the plugin, naturally.
>
> So I changed the cxfreeze.bat so that it points to C:\Python32\Python.exe.
> But the plugin still would not work, with a diagnostic that "the cxfreeze
> executable was not found". Looking at the plugin sources I noticed that it
> is looking for cxfreeze.bat in the path. The problem with this approach in
> a Windows installation is that the Python scripts folder never gets
> appended to the path during Python installation. Once I appended the
> scripts folder to the path manually, the plugin works correctly.
>
> In a 32 bit Win 7 installation, the cxfreeze.bat file correctly points to
> C:\Python32\Python.exe, so it doesn't need to be edited. But the path
> problem is the same as above.
>
> I guess that on a Linux or Unix box all these problems don't arise. Later I
> will install Python32/PyQt/Eric5/cxfreeze in my FreeBSD box and verify what
> happens in that environment.
>
> Tom

Due to the fact, that eric cannot know exactly where all the tools are
installed, it assumes, that they are available via the executable path
setting. If the scripts folder doesn't get added (or any other directory on
non Win machines) you have to add it to the PATH variable. Maybe I should
offer a configuration option where you can set the path to the cxfreeze
executable. Feedback is welcome.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de