[Eric] right click bug

cracker sniff crackersniff at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 18:38:05 BST 2010

The bug is in the UI of Eric itself, NOT with a UI I am making with Eric.
 (v4.4.2 (r3677) on Ubuntu 10.04)

Right-clicking can open a context menu, but if you hold it down long enough
for that context menu to open underneath the cursor, then releasing that
same right mouse button can select and start one of those options.  This
happens even if you only hold it down for a fraction of a second, and have
no time to see or read anything.

For example in the Project-Viewer's Sources tab, right clicks on a source
file will reveal a menu where deleting/removing is one of the options.  So
if you accidentally hold the right-click down for just a fraction of a
second before letting go of it, then you can delete/remove that file without
an option for undo.  It happens so fast that you don't know what you just
did.

I'm used to UIs that don't let this happen.  If a right mouse button down
event opens a menu, then the up of that same button should not be ignored.
 Or am I missing something?  Maybe this isn't up to Eric, but a function of
Gnome?

I'm giving up on the tutorials for learning Eric.  I'm on a laptop without
perfect mouse control (more of a typer anyway), and I can't stop from
accidentally doing things that have no undo option.  What a waste.  Eric
seems so clean and convenient.