[Eric] Add Files Again

detlev detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Feb 13 08:26:50 GMT 2010

On Freitag, 12. Februar 2010, David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> I am following the MiniBrowser tutorial.
>
> I have a folder named MiniBrowser which contains my project.
>
> david-arnolds-macbook-pro-2:MiniBrowser darnold$ ls -ll
> total 16
> -rw-r--r--  1 darnold  staff  1383 Feb 12 12:58 MiniBrowser.e4p
> -rw-r--r--  1 darnold  staff     0 Feb 12 12:58 __init__.py
> -rw-r--r--  1 darnold  staff   217 Feb 12 13:14 minibrowser.py
> drwxr-xr-x  9 darnold  staff   306 Feb 12 13:14 ui
>

> As you can see, I just created minibrowser.py and saved it as
>  MiniBrowser/minibrowser.py. As of this moment, it does not show up in the
>  Project-Viewer of eric because it has not yet been added to the project.

If you select Save to project instead of just Save, the file will be added to
the project's files and will show up in the source tab of the project viewer.

> I can select Add source files ... from the context menu in the
>  Project-Viewer or I can select Add files ... from the Project menu. This
>  is a little deceiving to have two different titles: 1) Add source files
>  ... and 2) Add files ... Should they not be named the same in order to be
>  consistent and avoid confusion on the part of the user?

They work a little bit different. The project viewer is subdivided into
source, forms, ... parts. Each one has an Add entry for adding files of the
specific kind. The Add from the project menu will give a choice of what kinds
of files to add.

> Secondly, when I enter minibrowser.py and MiniBrowser/ as my directory
>  path, clicking OK gives this message: The file
>  /Users/darnold/Documents/temp/EricTutorials/MiniBrowser/minibrowser.py
>  already exists.
>
> Overwrite it?
> This message is a bit spooky! Yes the file already exists, but no I don't
>  want to overwrite it. I want to add it to the project so that it will show
>  up in the Project-Viewer.

It doesn't do that for me. Please give step-by-step instructions.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de