[Eric] File opening default filter

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Aug 12 09:38:46 BST 2010

On Thursday 12 August 2010 17:38:56 Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 12. August 2010, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using eric4-4.4.7 (r3805) and what a fine program it is!
> >
> > When trying to open a file, I am presented with a drop-down list
> > which by default gives a "batch file" filter for files.  I think a more
> > general default filter would be "All Files".
> >
> > I would like to set the filter  to "Python", as that is what I use Eric
> > for.
> >
> > I feel sure that in that massive "Settings -> Preferences" listing
> > there is an option to change the default file filter.  Regretfully,
> > I can not find it.  Would you help, please?
>
> It is on the Editor->Filehandling page. Please be aware, that it has no
> effect on Linux systems using a KDE dialog wrapper for Qt because KDE
> dialogs work different from Qt dialogs. In that case, you should disable
> the usage of these wrappers (unfortunately I don't know how) or use the
> wrappers of eric4 (if PyKDE4 is installed). The internal wrappers handle
> the filter preselection right.
>
> Detlev

Thanks for your reply.  My "Settings -> Preferences -> Editor -> Filehandling"
'Default File Filters' were set to Python (*.py *,py3). As an experiment, I
changed it to 'All Files'.  To no avail - the default remains "Batch Files",
which I do not use at all.

I am using kubuntu, which had a KDE desktop, of course.  I either do not
remember installing PyKDE4 as such, but it is possible.  In any event, I would
expect the KDE desktop "want' to use PyKDE4.

I do not have the knowledge to tackle the incompatibility problem, which this
hiccup seems to be, so will look for a "work around".  One possibility would
be to use a VM (Virtual Machine), free of KDE installation and with Eric
installed. Will think about it a bit more.

Thank you again for kindly provided information,

OldAl.