[Eric] Log-viewer in Eric4: how implemented?

Geert Vancompernolle geert.eric4 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:54:25 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have a Python application (written in PyQt) that starts an external
app (calls a batch file using subprocess.Popen()).  That external app is
normally sending its output to the console (DOS command box).
I would like to capture that output (both stdout and stderr) in real
time and send it to a log window in my Python application (QTextBrowser
window).

I've seen that, when I use the Eric4 debugger while running/debugging my
Python application, all my external application output is nicely and in
real time captured and shown in the Log-viewer window of the Eric4 IDE.
That's exactly the behaviour that I want, but then to send that info to
my log window in my application.

- How is this done in Eric4?  I've looked into the source codes, but
without a bit of explanation it's hard to grasp...
- What's the best strategy to implement that log-viewer behaviour into
my own log window of my application?

--
Best rgds,

Geert