[Eric] eric4 4.3.9 crashes with "Segmentation fault" about 5 minutes after starting [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Dec 10 10:25:15 GMT 2009

Dear Matthew,

please look up my reply to Arndt Meiers issue:
"[Eric] segmentation fault with Eric4-4.3.8 on SUSE 11.1_x64"
in this list. Funny enough, he's also member of "gov.au", but they're using
a much less scary disclaimer. Since I've no idea, what the "section 70 of
the Crimes Act 1914" determines, I hope, I'm not getting delinquent with my
reply below ;-).

While that answer targeted to a sane openSUSE debug environment, the basic
idea remains. Build/install debug info of glibc, libstdc++, qt4, python,
sip (./configure.py --debug) and PyQt, and create a proper backtrace.

BTW, instead of reinventing the wheel, err, recreating everything from
scratch with a non reproducible outcome, I would start thinking about some
virtual machine setup on the SAN with a _deterministic_ setup. That way, a
debug environment would have been a few finger snips away, could be kept
current easily, and you would be able to get a full featured version of
eric (just by using the right repo, i.e. mine). On your current route,
that's going to take you a awful lot of continuous effort.

Good luck,
Pete