[Eric] Re: Emacs keybindings?

Robert Withrow witr-sender-cf3b11 at rwwa.com
Sat Oct 25 00:40:18 BST 2008

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Freitag, 17. Oktober 2008, Robert Withrow wrote:
>
>> Heh... Just about a year ago I asked about emacs key bindings, and here
>> I am again a year later, trying to learn Eric4 again and I'm wondering
>> if the situation has changed.
>>

> Due to the fact, that you haven't contributed the emacs shortcuts a year ago,
> the situation hasn't changed ;-)

Well, I guess I had the fond hope there were other Emacsers out there
who also wanted to use Eric4, but I guess not.  (I know, Emacs is its
own IDE.)

Anyway, I've tried to play with the keybindings and I've had only
partial success:

    * Simple things work ok.
    * Compound keystrokes work fine too (like Ctrl-X, Ctrl-U)
    * If you try to bind keys like Alt-F (forward-word in Emacs) or
      Alt-B (backward-word in Emacs) you get an "ambiguous shortcut
      overload" dialog.
    * Binding Ctrl+Shift+_ to Undo doesn't work: no complaints, but undo
      doesn't happen.
    * There is no bindable function to start the selection (Ctrl+Space
      in Emacs).
    * There are cases where the semantics are quite different.  Example:
      Ctrl+G means to stop lots of things or un-select things.  No
      equivalent in this editor.  Probably the worst here is Emacs's
      kill-line (Ctrl-K) which has no equivalent in Eric4: it causes the
      current line to be deleted up to the newline, but it doesn't
      delete  the newline unless it is at the cursor.  Emacsers use that
      all the time.

Overall, I get the impression that this won't work with a lot of code
bending.

FWIW, I found a package where a guy interfaced Emacs to Eclipse using
Emacs-client.  I wonder if this is posible in Eric4, and if that would
take less code than whacking on the editor?

--
Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott, MA, USA