[Eric] Problem (and solution!) installing on Ubuntu Gutsy

Joshua J. Kugler jkugler at ska-corp.com
Thu Jan 10 23:57:00 GMT 2008

First problem: you need Qscintilla 2.

No problem.  The versions from Ubuntu Hardy install just fine.

Download links here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python/python-qscintilla2
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python/python-qscintilla2

Install both of those.

I was trying to run the Eric4 installer (20080107), and everything went
OK except for finding the Qt4 data directory, and was prompting me for
that like so:

Please enter the name of the Qt data directory.
(That is the one containing the 'qsci' subdirectory.)

Well, I searched, and found no directory containing qsci.  I installed
python-qt4-dev, and it was able to find it on its down (it could now
import PyQt4.pyqtconfig.

For those of you who want to avoid installing that package, the
directory you're looking for is: /usr/share/qt4

Hope that helps someone.

Joshua Kugler
VOC/SigNet Provider (aka Web App Programmer)
S&K Aerospace Alaska