[Eric] Project 'templates'

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Jul 14 09:18:12 BST 2007

On Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2007, Steve Hindle wrote:
> "
>
> Hi All,
>
>   I'm just getting started with Eric (v4 snapshot).  I really miss
> 'template' project support - a facility that creates a new project
> 'skeleton' by creating a directory with common files and directories.  I've
> found 3 ways that I might be able to do this in eric - scripts, plugins,
> and wizards.   Would one approach be more appropriate then another?
> Wizards seem like a good fit, but are more complicated to create then
> 'scripts'.

If it is of general interest, I would advise for the new plugins approach. If
it is of high general interest, we might add a "New from template..." action
the project menu and make this a builtin function (send patch to me).

>   Has anyone implemented functionality like this already?  If not, can
> someone give me some pointers about the 'best' way to do this in eric ? Oh!
> and is there a 'plugin' repository somewhere for 3rd party plugins ?

There is no 'plugin' repository yet because this functionality is still under
active development and the API might change between snapshots. However, I am
open for suggestions on where to host such a repository (unfortunately my
transfer volume is rather limitted).

One idea could be to host new plugins in some area, where there is global
write access. Proven and stable plugins could later on be moved into eric4
itself (core plugin) or be moved to a plugins package on sourceforge.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de