[Eric] Autocompletion and other editing problems

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Jan 27 09:14:03 GMT 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 23:05, John Bell wrote:
> I just installed Eric3 on my workstation (linux) and tried it out.
>
> The Autocompletion check-box is checked, "Case Sensitive" is un-checked.
> The Calltips checkbox is enabled in Preferences/Editor/Calltips.
>
> I think I configured the API extras correctly:  with the drop down set to
> "python" the list box shows "/opt/eric/extras".  This is the directory
> where I dropped in the api files for PyQt and PyKDE.  (BTW, which version
> of the api files, 3.11.1 or 3.11.3 matches to pykde-3.5.5 from kde.org)

And that is the problem. You have to tell it the filename of the API file(s)
to load, e.g. /opt/eric/extras/python.api. You may add several files to the
list.

> Eric seems to only attempt auto-completion from the file being worked on.
> If I do the following:
>
> =====================
> import os
>
> print os.
> =====================
> then hit ctrl-space (after the period) nothing happens.  Nothing at all.
>
> I was expecing a drop down with things like path, etc
>
> If I:
> =====================
> import kdecore
> x = kdecore.(ctrl+space)
> =====================
> I still don't get any auto-completing goodness.
>
> I also noticed that the autocompletion preference setting was a radio
> button choice of *either* api files *or* document.  Surely this is a
> mistake and they should be check boxes, that should be fixed soon, right?

That is not a bug. Only the latest versions of QScintilla1 (the editor widget
used by eric3) supports autocompletion from both. If you are using eric 3.9.4
(unfortunately you didn't tell your version) and QScintilla 1.7 (you may use
the Help->Show Versions menu entry to check your versions), the configuration
dialog for autocompletion will show the option.

> I've changed the preference from api to document and back, restarted the
> app, "Reload the APIs", ctrl+space, ctrl+shift+space, and ctrl+alt+space
> all to no avail.
>
> Is this broken or am I doing something wrong?

see above for API files.

> Also I have the "Auto indention after':'" option checked in the
> Preferences/Editor/Python Lexer properties but it doesn't seem to indent
> after a colon as I'm coding unless I've created a project first and
> included the source file in that project.  I hope this isn't what was
> planned as this limits out ability to create non-project scripts.

For autoindentation to work you have to enable it on the Editor->General page.
The a.m. option, which is just for Python, changes the autoindentation
behavior after a ":" for Python.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de