*** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: [Eric] hide Ui_* in list

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jan 15 17:03:46 GMT 2007

On 15.01.07 15:04:44, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Monday 15 January 2007 12:28, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 15.01.07 08:22:12, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > > The Project Viewer window is there to do more than just show, which files
> > > belong to the project. For example, you are using it to manage your files
> > > in the version control system, your repository. I suppose everybody is
> > > using something like this. Therefore it is not user-friendly to hide any
> > > file, because otherwise, it would be excluded from these actions (except
> > > you always e.g. commit on the project level).
> >
> > I disagree, its common to hide "generated" files from the project view
> > in modern IDE's. The reason is that those files need not be touched by
> > the user. For the python code generated from .ui files I don't see a
> > reason to move the files around or to put this into a version control
> > system.
>
> I disgree on this. All files that are part of a distribution should be put
> into a version control system.

Then I guess we disagree here.

In fact for some things this actually makes sense, for example in
KDevelop4 we have the generated files that make up the parser for the
programming languages inside the VCS too, mainly because forcing people
who want to compile kdevelop to install yet another program (flex/bison
or flex/kdevelop-pg) is a no-go. However anybody who wants to compile a
PyQt or Qt program will have pyuic/uic available so for .ui files you
don't have to keep 2 files with basically the same content (only in
differing formats) in the VCS.

Anyway, eric4 doesn't have to do much with what I want to put in VCS or
not, because IIRC I still do that by hand...

> > At least an option to hide generated files would be really cool in
> > erci4.
>
> I'll think about it again.

As you probably can't figure out which files are generated, a way to
just hide files using a filter would be fine with me (and this should be
really easy unless eric4 doesn't use model/view).

Andreas

--
A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.