[Eric] What am I doing wrong in 4.0.1 (speed issues)?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Aug 11 17:52:14 BST 2007

On Samstag, 11. August 2007, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > On Montag, 6. August 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> On 06.08.07 17:04:04, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

> > Eric4 actually just populates the model with all the files contained in
> > the project file. Everything else (like parsing a file to show classes
> > and members) is done on-demand.
>
> Then, something weird is going on.  I am seeing about *5-8 seconds* to
> expand the tree branch for directories with a couple of dozen files
> (i.e. items that should already be in the model) in reasonably large
> projects.  Something is taking an enormous amount of time to make a
> machine this powerful run that slowly.  The same slowdown is seen every
> time the tree view is refreshed AFAICS, e.g. when switching files, when
> opening files etceteras.  If the information is all in-memory the access
> shouldn't be anywhere near that slow, even if all of the code being run
> is Python.

I've noticed this as well but couldn't find anything abvious, that would cause
this delay. Therefore I assume, that it is Qt4 that is causing this slowdown
by repeatedly querying the model for some data.

There is delay visible, when a Python file entry is expanded. This is caused
by the parsing and processing done by eric4 in order to show the classes,
methods, ...

In the Others browser, the behavior is different. Directory items are
populated, when they are expanded.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de