[Eric] understanding eric4 slowness

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Apr 13 18:26:28 BST 2007

On Mittwoch, 11. April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not here to rant, I really like to understand the following things
> (without having to dig into the code too much).
>
> a) Why does it take so long to load a project? Is it the flat layout of
> the XML file that makes parsing so slow or is it the population of the
> models?

It is the population of the models paired with the way Qt4 accesses the
modell.

> b) Resizing the projectbrowser seems to update very slow, could that be
> due to debug builds of PyQt and sip? Or is it rather the model thats
> "slow" here?

I think it is the way Qt4 uses the models.

> c) How do I do performance tests on eric4? I tried the profile project
> option in eric3 but after the splash screen vanishes nothing seems to
> happen.

Over here it took some time to show up on the first run.

> All in all eric3 seems to be much faster than eric4.

That is what I observed as well. However, I was not able to find the real
cause. All in all I have the impression, that Qt4 is slower than Qt3. I have
observed this with other (pure) Qt applications as well (both at work and at
home, both on Linux and on win32). I got the impression, that the problem is
worse on Linux.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de